Part 20……The boot lid

Rat Rods Hot Rods & Drag Cars Forums LAZY’S RAT ROD BUILD Part 20……The boot lid

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rustytop 2 years, 9 months ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
October 20, 2015 at 10:26 pm #1585

Lazy

Again this will be a short update as narrowing the boot lid only took two evenings.

As the body has already been narrowed by 10″ I didn’t really need to measure the opening, just cut 10″ out of the middle and weld it back.So thats what I did, it went sort of ok apart from finding sh*t loads of filler and rust on the bottom edge.When joining the two half’s they seemed to over lap on the bottom edge, I remember a while ago when we were having a vynal floor fitted I asked the fitter how he jointed two sheets together without seeing the joint, all he did was to over lay the sheets and cut through both sheets and remove the surplus. So this is what I did, used a 1mm cutting disc and cut through both skins and the surplus fell,out and a perfect joint was made.

Both half’s were now tacked together. As the middle section was cut out, so was the lock and handle. All I did was to cut it from the removed section, offer it to the boot and cut a section out for the lock and handle, then tacked it in.The bottom of the boot was rotten so I cut a few sections from the metal that was kept when I cut out the sun roof and made a few patch repairs. The biggest problem I found was trying to weld with that horrible black tar the manufactures coated the inside of the boot with.

Below some of the pictures of the finished boot.

ratrod boot  ratrod boot  ratrod

ratrod boot Now fully welded.

Seems that the boot fits better than before, the shut lines on a London Cab are pretty poor.

Lazy

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
January 21, 2016 at 7:33 pm #2319

rustytop

Just flicking through your build. that boot lid looks great.

February 6, 2016 at 3:14 pm #2374

HoneyRat

Love it can I have one in pink LOL ………………….

February 14, 2016 at 8:16 pm #2428

Lazy

Ratrods only come in one colour……….Rust.

Lazy

March 15, 2016 at 10:05 pm #2573

rustytop

Noticed from other pictures you have moiunted the radiator in the boot, how is it going to cool with the solid boot lid? just wondered.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.