Again this will be a short update as narrowing the boot lid only took two evenings.
As the body has already been narrowed by 10″ I didn’t really need to measure the opening, just cut 10″ out of the middle and weld it back.So thats what I did, it went sort of ok apart from finding sh*t loads of filler and rust on the bottom edge.When joining the two half’s they seemed to over lap on the bottom edge, I remember a while ago when we were having a vynal floor fitted I asked the fitter how he jointed two sheets together without seeing the joint, all he did was to over lay the sheets and cut through both sheets and remove the surplus. So this is what I did, used a 1mm cutting disc and cut through both skins and the surplus fell,out and a perfect joint was made.
Both half’s were now tacked together. As the middle section was cut out, so was the lock and handle. All I did was to cut it from the removed section, offer it to the boot and cut a section out for the lock and handle, then tacked it in.The bottom of the boot was rotten so I cut a few sections from the metal that was kept when I cut out the sun roof and made a few patch repairs. The biggest problem I found was trying to weld with that horrible black tar the manufactures coated the inside of the boot with.
Below some of the pictures of the finished boot.
Now fully welded.
Seems that the boot fits better than before, the shut lines on a London Cab are pretty poor.