Part 18. the steering wheel

Rat Rods Hot Rods & Drag Cars Forums LAZY’S RAT ROD BUILD Part 18. the steering wheel

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  HoneyRat 2 years, 7 months ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
October 18, 2015 at 7:39 pm #1567

Lazy

Have just started to modify the original steering column so it will fit my Rat.

15-01-2016………

steering wheel steering column dismantled…

Well finally got the UJ for the connection between the steering box and steering column.Had major problems finding the part because every time I called a parts shop they asked me for a registration number. The amount of times I told the half wits ” I haven’t got a registration number, all I have is the box”, the reply I got from them ” sorry without the reg. number we are unable to help. Gone are the days are when you could go into a parts shop and explain what you need and they get it off the shelve without a computer in sight. Rant over, I got my part from Poland transit centre, took  3days to arrive. Offered up the steering column and it seems that it needs to be shortened to 545mm overall, so this is the next bit to do.

steering column

The steering column has now been shortened to 545mm overall.The top part is the original taxi, the bottom is the uj from a Transit. It has been fully welded and bushed. This was done with the help of one of our members……….thanks Wiggle.

The support for the column was fabricated out of scrap I had lying around, the only problem I had was that the steering column was 1 1/4″ dia, and the only tube I had was        1 1/2″. So a length was cut, cut in half length ways and crimped in the vise to make it            1 1/4″, then it was trimmed to length. The rest was fabricated out of stuff that was in my garage. The steering wheel was made out of chain (build is in part 27), need to sort this site out as it is all over the place.

steering column ratrod

ratrod rat rod steering wheel

steering wheel steering

rat rod rat rod steering wheel

Thats another part sorted…………………..Lazy

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
October 23, 2015 at 4:58 pm #1604

Eric the man

What steering wheel and column are you going to use?

Have you still got the original column and steering wheel from the cab? sure that would look cool.
Just my opinion but an after market type steering wheel would look pants. It needs to remain looking like a Taxi, well sort of.

Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Eric

January 24, 2016 at 12:26 pm #2324

Lazy

Yes I will be using the original taxi steering column, just trying to work out how much to shorten it…….Lazy

March 9, 2016 at 9:43 pm #2548

Wiggle

Hi Lazy

Have you thought about making a steering wheel rim out of welded chain to match the mud guards etc ??? just an idea ….

March 10, 2016 at 6:22 pm #2551

Lazy

Hi Wiggle,

Not sure what way to go with the steering wheel, chain would look great, but as I plan do do a lot of driving with my Rat, it may have to compromised with a comfortable steering wheel.

Its a Ratrod…………Chain it is then.

Will be fitting the steering column shortly, then its time for the wheel, need to look out for some suitable chain.

Lazy

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Lazy.
March 15, 2016 at 10:03 pm #2572

rustytop

What sort of chain are you going to use Lazy?

March 22, 2016 at 9:01 pm #2602

Lazy

The steering wheel has now been made, if you look under bits and bobs part 27 you can see how it was made..

Lazy

April 30, 2016 at 4:38 pm #2806

HoneyRat

Love it!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.