Mocking up time

Viewing 3 reply threads
Author Posts
Author Posts
October 24, 2015 at 3:13 pm #1632
Lazy
Lazy
Keymaster

Its time to start mocking up a few items to see if they fit and what further work is required.

Lets start off with the seats, I made a quick frame for the under side and positioned them to where it felt comfortable.They will be installed about 2″ higher. The upright box section will need to be cut out or modified as my arm rubs on it, think it will get on my nerves when driving, its got to go. The seats look to far back, but they are about right when the steering column and pedal box is in.
Thought there would be enough room for the fuel tank behind the seats, but there wasn’t. It will have to go under the boot floor, this is the original place for the tank.

ratrod seats  front seats

Will need to add a prop shaft tunnel to my list of stuff to make.

The exhausts, wanted to make a couple of stack exhausts, just like some lorries have. Played around with a few bends that I had left over from my Capri build. Think this is the sort of thing I will be making. There is just enough room to fit a small silencer just after it comes off the header. At the top will be a couple of flappers. Looking at the legal stuff it seems that the exhaust must exit just behind the fire wall, and it does……..just.

ratrod exhaust     ratrod exhaust

Now for the radiator, trial fitted a rad that was given to me from Brian, unfortunately it didn’t fit. The spare radiator for my landrover seemed to fit about right. Had to lay it back at a slight angle to match the angle of the boot lid. Will make some brackets and fit it to the floor. The top bracket will be located to the chassis. when it is welded in.Sure this rad had a leak, any way will find out as soon as water is put in.

ratrod radiator  ratrod radiator

radiator  ratrod radiator

The steering column was again trial fitted, it will sit slightly different to the photo as it was just wedged in for the photo. This is the original Taxi item.

The pedal box decided it wasn’t going to fit, again the original Taxi item. I will be able to use the pedals, but will need to fabricate a new box.

The last bit of mocking up was to sit the Taxi sign on the roof…….Looks good. Well I think it does.

I have got the steel for the chassis to kick over the axle, but haven’t yet made it, however looking at the space behind the seats it will fit in just perfect.

ratrod steering wheel  ratrod

ratrod  taxi sign

Well that was well worth the mocking up, I can now see what work is now required……….lots and lots

Big thanks for Paul, the front seats from ebay.

Lazy

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
October 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm #1634
CatRat
CatRat
Participant

Looking good Lazy.

What are your plans for the bulk head?

February 14, 2016 at 8:21 pm #2429
Lazy
Lazy
Keymaster

The plan at the moment is to collect as many different metal road signs on my travels ,and make the bulkhead out of as many bits as possible and use round headed rivets to fix them.

Thats the plan at the moment, however plans may change.

Lazy

February 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm #2430
Lazy
Lazy
Keymaster

The plan at the moment is to collect as many different metal road signs on my travels ,and make the bulkhead out of as many bits as possible and use round headed rivets to fix them.

Thats the plan at the moment, however plans may change.

Lazy

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.