Lazys Rat Rod Part 15……The Sun Roof

Rat Rods Hot Rods & Drag Cars Forums LAZY’S RAT ROD BUILD Lazys Rat Rod Part 15……The Sun Roof

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rustytop 3 years, 2 months ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
September 17, 2015 at 4:18 pm #1099

Lazy

Before I take 10″ out of the middle of the Rat thought it would be an idea to finish other parts first as it will be less to cut, and hopefully it will make it easier to realign.

Looking at the contour of the roof it looks very curvy. Placed a straight edge across the top and it seemed to run out about 20mm over 36″.So I set about fabricating a square out of 25mm angle to the measurements of 36″. When the middle section is cut out it will measure 26″ x 36″, and I will be able to realign the roof with a straight edge.

After a bit of careful marking out and deciding how far back on the roof to place it. A hole was cut out allowing for the frame.Then it was tacked welded just in the corners. When I was happy with the position a few more tacks were made.

This is the part that seemed to take for ever, with a disc cutter I started to remove small sections of the angle that was above the roof, grinding it flush and stitch welding it.I didn’t bother welding the centre 10″ section as it will be removed.

Below are some of the pictures of the Sunroof:

Sun roof frame sun roof corner g clamps on the frame sun roof insert

With the frame successfully tacked in place my attention was to support the frame underneath, couple of pictures below.

underneath sun roof sun roof

Frame is now in place, fully welded and supported.

Just need to decide what to use for the infill, have got a few good ideas that I haven’t seen any where before.

Will update as soon as I make my mind up.

To be continued…………Lazy

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
September 23, 2015 at 5:00 pm #1209

rustytop

Have you made up your mind yet?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.