Lazys Rat Rod Build…..Part 8…..front 4 bar

Rat Rods Hot Rods & Drag Cars Forums LAZY’S RAT ROD BUILD Lazys Rat Rod Build…..Part 8…..front 4 bar

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rustytop 3 years, 2 months ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
July 15, 2015 at 5:09 pm #573

Lazy

Today we will mostly be talking about the front 4 bar.

If you look in most parts catalogues they will supply ends that can be welded onto tubes.By the time you buy the tubes, the welded ends and rod ends, the price starts to get away with you.
So, the cheapest way would be to use solid bar, that I had in my garage and drill and tap them out the accept rod ends.
I mocked up a length of bar against the chassis to see where they would mount and how long they would be (keeping them parallel to the ground)The length and position worked out about right, looked fine to me. I am sure some will tell me that there is another way of calculating the lengths but I don’t know. With the bar cut to length I drilled and tapped them at both ends 12mm x 1.5 pitch, to match the rod ends brought from ebay.

With the rod ends fitted, the bars were mocked up for the position of the bolts through the frame. Bungs were machined and welded in the chassis, best to have a look at the photos as below.

With the four bars connected at the chassis end it was time to mount them to the front axle. This is the hard bit to explain, but I fabricated some brackets using the Plasma. Tacked them to the underside of the axle mounting plate, to be welded at a later date when all is stripped down. And using holes already in the axle for another support.
If you notice I have tied both supports together with a section of leaf spring that I had left over, will explain in the update when the front spring is fitted.
The photos below should explain.

Well thats about it…….Lazy

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Lazy.
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
September 23, 2015 at 5:02 pm #1210

rustytop

Well it seems to look ok, no reason why it shouldn’t work.

Rusty

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.