Lazys Rat Rod Build…Part 7……Steering

Rat Rods Hot Rods & Drag Cars Forums LAZY’S RAT ROD BUILD Lazys Rat Rod Build…Part 7……Steering

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lazy 3 years, 4 months ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
July 15, 2015 at 5:08 pm #571

Lazy

This section will cover the steering up to as far as I have completed.

Not sure if I have got the parts with the correct name, but have included a few pictures to help explain what parts were used.

The route that I decided to take was to use a transit mk111 steering box and connect it to the steering arm on the top of the LDV axle via a connecting rod. The transit box came with a Pitman arm and a rod end and this was going to be connected to the ball joint on the LDV steering arm. The biggest problem was getting the drop arm off the transit box, I tried using a puller, no joy. Eventually with a combination or propane heat and a puller it came off. Apparently propane is hotter than acetylene, learn something new every day building a Rat.

Next problem was the steering arm on the axle was sitting at the wrong angle, so out came the propane again and heated to a cherry red and bent the arm. picture below.

You can just about see the heat marks where it was bent.

The steering box was set up by bolting it to a previously cut piece of 6mm plate, this was tacked into place, as it may have to be moved when the body is moved forward.

As you can see above there was another problem with the drop arm not clearing the side of the chassis, so yet again the propane was called for and a crank was formed. Again you can just about see the heat marks in the above photo.The plate where the box is bolted to will be boxed in to strengthen it when it is in the final position.To connect the drop arm to the steering arm on the axle I used a length of 25mm solid bar and tapped the end to suite the ball joints. Had to purchase a left hand die from ebay, as the ball joint on the axle was left hand.

Well thats about it for this section……Lazy

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Lazy.
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
July 27, 2015 at 10:48 am #614

Eric the man

You stated that you heated up the arm on the steering box so you could put in a off set, did you leave the arm connected to the box while you heated it up?

July 27, 2015 at 5:59 pm #636

Lazy

It was removed from the box, and a jig was made prior to mounting in a hydraulic press and heat applied.

Lazy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.