Lazy Rat Rod – Part 2 – Chassis Mods

Rat Rods Hot Rods & Drag Cars Forums LAZY’S RAT ROD BUILD Lazy Rat Rod – Part 2 – Chassis Mods

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lazy 1 year, 11 months ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
June 29, 2015 at 7:23 pm #295

Lazy
Keymaster

Lazy Rat Rod Build – Part 2 Chassis Mods

Now its time to cut the chassis ready to mount the engine and gearbox. Sorry didn’t take any pictures of cutting the front section off the cab, however I thought it would be ok to cut out the bulkhead and window section (keeping this in a safe place for use later). The “A” posts were cut off  and the roof cut leaving approx 150mm over hang, maybe for a sun visor.

As I am building my Rat on my drive I haven’t got a flat surface to work on. So I spent a couple of hours getting the Cab as level as possible using a spirit level and chocking the chassis where necessary with pieces of wood etc. When I got it the best I could I then welded pieces of angle to the chassis resting it on the ground, this would support and keep the chassis as level as possible while working on it. Also as it is now level it is easier to weld other items on it using a spirit level to ensure it is true.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Picture showing the angle welded in to place

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Now the frame is level I then welded in a section of 3 x 2 channel in between the frame at the new front position of the frame, then I cut off the bendy and unwanted part of the front chassis. As I looked at the front it seemed a good place to put the front spreader rail as it was on the horizontal section just before it kicked back down.

Now its time to cut of all the brackets that was no longer needed, and cut out the “K” section of the chassis to make room for the engine. This section, or something similar will be put back in once the engine has been fitted.

Picture below showing the “K” section that needs to be cut out, this was the only picture I could find. (this was taken before the bulkhead was removed)

Medway-20141206-00129_2

Below showing the new level spreader bar in place.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Below is what it look like before the chassis was cut and the bulkhead removed.

Part 3 to follow…the Engine and Gearbox

Medway-20141206-00126(1)_2

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.
July 14, 2015 at 8:02 pm #563

rustytop
Participant

How accurate do you think you can make the chassis true by building it on your drive way?

Rustytop

July 15, 2015 at 5:15 pm #577

Lazy
Keymaster

Sure I can get it within a few mm’s, just take my time and measure and check every thing at least twice.
If you rush it, then mistakes will be made.

When finished I will get it checked out by a chassis builder and see how far out I am.

Lazy

April 30, 2016 at 1:55 pm #2799

HoneyRat
Participant

Hi Lazy have you checked the chassis yet?

May 1, 2016 at 7:51 am #2807

Lazy
Keymaster

Well I was going to get it checked, however its not going to be a race car, I will see how it handles on the road first. If it drive ok then I won’t bother to get it checked.
Lazy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.