Lazy Rat Rod Build – Part 1 – the Tear Down

Rat Rods Hot Rods & Drag Cars Forums LAZY’S RAT ROD BUILD Lazy Rat Rod Build – Part 1 – the Tear Down

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Lazy Lazy 2 years, 6 months ago.

Author Posts
Author Posts
June 29, 2015 at 7:17 pm #293
Lazy
Lazy
Keymaster

Lazy Rat Rod Build -Part 1

Well here we go, this is the starting point for my first Rat Rod build, brought it as a M.O.T. Failure. Well not quite true, the previous owner had a spot check on the side of the road and had a ticket made out to him stating that is was not fit for the road. I paid a mere £375 for it via one of those on site auctions.When I picked up the Taxi it was in better nick than I thought, bit of a downer as it didn’t seem to have a lot of rust.

Thought I would show you a picture of my brown bin, how did that get there? Side view of the cab.

Medway-20141206-00128_2

Started to strip out the cab, so many screws and bolts hidden in very strange places, did you know the rear floor was made out of ply wood? Didn’t have any pictures of the engine being removed, at the time wasn’t considering building a web site.Still it was an old diesel engine that had covered 27500 miles, yes it still started and ran.

Medway-20141206-00126(1)_2

Front axle removed, shit that was heavy, took off some of the ball joints and connecting rods, might come in handy.

Medway-20141206-00127

Part 2 to follow….Modifying the chassis

July 7, 2015 at 7:03 pm #445
Rustytop
rustytop
Participant

Lazy, why didn’t you keep the front independent front suspension? Surely it would give a better ride and would still keep the turning circle of the Cab.

Rustynut>>>

July 7, 2015 at 11:31 pm #450
RatRace
Jack The lad
Participant

Hi lazy what are your plans for the body are you going to chop it?

July 9, 2015 at 4:44 pm #481
Lazy
Lazy
Keymaster

Hi, so far I have chopped 6″ off the roof height. Just need to finish of the rear corners, then I will be slicing approx 10″ off the width, so the rear wheels are on the outside. Will be covering my first roof chop soon.

Lazy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.